Started in 1959 by a group of like-minded believers, Bethel is made up of people from many different communities. We are from Storm Lake, Sac City, Pocahontas, Pomeroy, Lakeside, Albert City, Rembrandt, Alta, Fonda, Schaller, Manson, Varina, Marathon, and Newell; each and every one calling Bethel their church home.
Bethel Baptist Church, though unaffiliated with any denomination, associates with like-minded churches in theology and in practice. The name “Baptist” recognizes Bethel’s early formation as a church, and celebrates its historic roots and distinct convictions. Several of those distinctive are as follows:
• That the church should be free and separate from the state and its dictation. Luke 20:25, Ephesians 4:11-16,
• That the church is made up of those who voluntarily choose to follow Christ and is not mandated by an institution. Acts 2: 46-47
• The belief and practice of the priesthood of all believers, as opposed to God directing only the hierarchy of the church. 1 Peter 2:5-9
• The belief that the Bible clearly teaches believers baptism, a baptism that follows salvation. Acts 8: 35-36
• The Bible, not man or the church is the final authority in all matters of faith. This supersedes the authority of the state. Acts 5:29, Hebrews 4:12
Bethel Baptist Church is a family of followers of Jesus Christ who desire to honor God by applying His sufficient Word to all areas of life and ministry. We seek to glorify God through the following actions:
1. Worshipping God together:
We seek to give worship to God in Spirit and in truth through the study of God’s Word, as well as prayer, music, song and the testimony of our lives. John 4:23-24, Isaiah 42:8 -12
2. Proclamation of God’s Word:
We are committed to proclaiming all of God’s Word, including the gospel, through diligent preaching and teaching, classroom instruction and other ministries. Romans 6:17, Romans 10:13-15
3. Equipping the Followers of Christ:
We seek to encourage and guide new and young believers to become mature in Christ through biblical teaching and by example. We desire all believers to become Spirit led disciples, and joyful servants of Jesus Christ. Ephesians 4:12, Hebrews 6:1, 2 Timothy 2:2, Colossians 1:10
4. Loving and Serving one another:
We seek to love one another without discrimination, through the encouragement of Biblical fellowship and community (Koinonia) and demonstrating true Biblical faith.
John 13:34 – 35, Hebrews 3:13, Galatians 5:13, Acts 2:42-47
We are committed to the participation in God’s great commission, through the sharing of the gospel of Jesus Christ with our friends and neighbors in our community, our nation, and the world.
Matthew 28:19 -20, Luke 24: 47-48
We hope that all who choose Bethel to be their home for family and personal worship, come and learn, appreciate, and embrace these distinctives of this fellowship. Together, our goal is that we would be a growing church, reaching all the communities we come from with the saving message of Jesus Christ. We hope that people will involve themselves with Bethel's ministry opportunities as they grow commitment to Jesus. We especially feel God is calling us to reach Storm Lake and the eastern part of Buena Vista County, Pocahantas County, northern Sac County, and southeast Calhoun County.